Monday 13 May 2013

Richard Scarry


When I was about four years old I loved studying Richard Scarry books. 'Studying' sounds a bit grand for a four year-old, but I did feel a need to look closely at Scarry's pictures. It was the detail in his drawings and his humour that attracted me.  That is still true today.

I enjoy writing and drawing for children, so I think that Richard Scarry was an early inspiration for me.  I have just read that he was born in The USA but worked in Switzerland.  This explains why Busytown seem to be such a mix of North American and European styles.  I think this makes Busytown seem familiar to people from both continents.

This picture comes from Richard Scarry's What Do People Do All Day? Huckle Cat is playing in a fountain. His Mummy is going bonkers, screaming that Huckle is drowning, so brave Sergeant Murphy dives in to save him.

I love the humor. The adults are overreacting, the child seems quite content but looks mildly interested to see a policeman flying towards him.

Once again Murphy's motorbike is tested to the limit. Such wonderful details.  I still wonder why Murphy has those grubby old shoes attached to his radio antenna.

Richard Scarry's text is so dry -  'Murphy saves Huckle from drowning in the fountain' - which you won't be able to say about Huckle or Murphy.

I enjoy making people laugh and I know that children like humourous writing and pictures.  Details in pictures absorb a child's interest and I shall be back soon with some other inspirations:  Carl Giles cartoons and Ronald Searle drawings.

See you back here soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment