Friday 10 May 2013

Henry's Wagon by Peg Dikeman

The first book that I want to share with you is the first book that I loved. I don't remember wanting my parents to read Henry's Wagon to me every night, but that is what they had to do as they told me later.  I still have the book and have also read it to my three sons when they were small.
My sons had their own favourites:  Thomas the Tank Engine, and the Ahlbergs' Peepo and Each Peach Pear Plum. Small children become very attached to certain books.  In the end the parents either become sick to death of the book or proudly recite the whole book at parties to their amused or bored friends.

My favourite colour as a little boy was green.  I wonder if it is because Henry makes a lovely messy job of painting his wagon green?  He then goes into the kitchen to tell the family's cook: "Bessy, I'm a little messy." In fact, he was well on the way to looking like a sticky green alien...

No comments:

Post a Comment